MusicalNerdery.com Forum Index

MusicalNerdery.com •  Search •  Memberlist •  FAQ •  Register •  Log in
 One cool little app View next topic
View previous topic
JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Watyf,

Nice site, nice little app ... I like it a lot.

I haven't really tested the app to its fullest, but from initial looks, here are some bugs in v3.0-beta and some feature requests ....

Bugs
----
1. If you have the TaskScheduler window open and adjust the size of the window/columns, and then exit TaskRunner using the "Exit TaskRunner" option from the systray icon, when you restart TaskRunner it does not remember the adjusted sizes of the window/columns.

2. Sort by "Next Run Time" column does not work.

3. Sort by "Last Ended" column throws an exception and crashes the App.
-- Looking at the error message, it appears that this is due to tasks that have never been executed as yet and have the value "Never" against them:

System.InvalidCastException: Cast from string "Never" to type 'Date' is not valid.

Feature requests
----------------
1. I would like to schedule a task to run every 30 minutes between 4pm and 11pm each day ... right now the only way to achieve this is by creating multiple tasks, each of which is set to start 30 minutes apart and point each task to the same executable ... essentially I'm asking for a "run window" functionality
e.g.
I would like to schedule a task that runs every 30 minutes ...
-- only between 4pm and 11pm each day AND
-- only between the 5th day and the 10th day of each month AND
-- only between the 8th month and the 11th month of each year

2. Would it be possible to have a feature to clone a task ... (due to the issue documented in #2) ... I have to create several tasks ... all of which are almost identical. It would be nice to have a clone feature that copies over all the data elements of the task, and allows the user to modify before committing.

3. Having just upgraded from v2.2 to v3.0-beta, I lost all the tasks that I had previously created (in v2.2) ... Would it be possible to save the tasks in a format that doesn't require the user to re-create each one on an upgrade. (I'm sincerely hoping I don't have to re-create all the tasks when you release v3.0-final !!)

Thanks,
JR
WATYF
Benevolent Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there.... nice catches on the bugs... I can see the reasons for most of them just by your descriptions, so I'll get on those as soon as I can.

As for the new features... I really like the idea of a "run window". I'd have to think through how to implement it, but it should be doable.

I will also look into the ability to "clone" the tasks... I know what you mean about having to create multiple similar tasks... I could actually use a feature like that myself. Razz

And about your settings being lost... there is a warning during the installation (I know... nobody ever reads those Big Smile) that tells you that if you're upgrading from 2.2 to 3.0 that you'll lose all your settings, but that's only because the entire backend was rebuilt. From now on (3.0 and up) all your settings should be retained. You should notice this whenever you install the next Beta release of 3.0. If, for some crazy reason, that doesn't happen... please let me know.

Thanks a lot for the feedback... I should have some results posted here shortly.

WATYF
JR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Watyf,

Here are a couple more bugs for you ...

1. If you create a task and flag it as "On Demand", you get the following exception when you start-up the TaskScheduler:
System.InvalidCastException: Cast from string "On Demand" to type 'Date' is not valid.

... unlike the other similar bug I reported, you can just hit Continue and continue working with the app.

2. I created a task with a relatively long name (35 chars) ... when I ran it, the task kept getting hung in a "Queued" state, and did not start ... nothing in the logfiles either. After shortening the name to 28 chars, it started just fine.

Cheers,
JR
WATYF
Benevolent Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there... here's the latest:

Old Bugs:
1) I fixed the issue with the window sizes/positions not being saved when you exit TaskRunner.
2 & 3) I fixed the Date sort bug (it wasn't working right in the first place), and I changed the logic to handle text values (like "On Demand" and "Never"), so you shouldn't have any more problems with sorting.

Features:
2) I've added the ability to clone tasks.

All the above updates will be in the next Beta version (which will probably go out tomorrow).

Now for the new issues:
1) This should be fixed by the above Sorting bug fix.
2) I will look into the long task name issue tomorrow. I'll probably have this fixed in the next Beta as well.

I'm still looking into the "run window" feature. This might take a bit to implement, but I should be able to have it out in the next few Beta releases.

WATYF
JR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow ... I'm impressed ... that was a speedy turn-around !!

I also noticed that the App has some "memory leak"-esque issues ... if you start up the app, and just watch the memory utilization in TaskManager, you'll see a footprint of about 7.5Mb ... even with no interaction with the app you'll see this utilization increase ... adding about 2Mb every 2-3 mins ... Once you start clicking around and interacting with the application, it very quickly shoots up. From what I can see, when you close out a window (e.g. TaskScheduler), the footprint drops back down to around 7.5Mb ... and then starts rising again all by itself.

JR.
WATYF
Benevolent Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes... that's actually normal for .NET apps. (I know... it's lame Razz)

From my understanding of it (which is limited), .NET apportions memory a little more "generously" for it's apps then other platforms do. When the memory use says "25MB", it may not actually be using that much, but the OS has set that much aside for it. When a window is minimized in .NET, the memory that was apportioned for that app is then "released", and you can see how much memory it's "really" using. Thus, you get the behavior you described... very low memory footprint... then you open a window and it jumps up... then you close the window and it jumps back down.

You should notice, if you don't use the GUI for a while (and when it has a chance to do garbage collection regularly), that TaskRunner should level off around 10MB (which is actually down from version 2.2's ~15MB). That's been the experience on my machine. YMMV.

I appreciate you being so throrough in checking out the app... you're a very good Beta tester... wish I had a few more like you helping me out. Smile

(P.S. I found a site that does a much better job of explaining this behavior than I just did. Big Smile)

WATYF
WATYF
Benevolent Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK. I fixed the bug with the long Task names. It actually didn't have anything to do with the Task Scheduler, per se. Razz When you run a Task, the systray icon updates its text (the text displayed when you put your mouse over the icon) to let you know what task is currently running. Well... apparenly sys tray icons have a text limit, and that was being exceeded. You should have gotten an error in your Beta log (which is in the "logs" folder in the directory where you installed TaskRunner), but the error wasn't being handled properly in the TaskScheduler, so that's why it kept saying "Queued" the whole time (and why it didn't show up in the TskSch log).

Anyway... that's fixed.

WATYF
WATYF
Benevolent Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright... the next Beta is up... all the bugs you reported are fixed. The new feature ("run window") isn't in this version... I wanted to get the bug fixes out first. I will work on that one next.

TaskRunner may not let you know that a new version is available (due to a bug I just found in the behavior of the version check function) so you might need to go to the software page and download it manually.

WATYF

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic